Southern Cornbread Dressing
This is a simple recipe that can be made ahead for best flavors. It uses biscuits and cornbread that are a few days old. It can be customized to fit your families taste buds.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups stale cornbread
- 2 cups stale biscuits
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Mix celery, onion, corn bread, biscuits, parsley, poultry seasoning, sage and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in melted butter.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the dry ingredients. All the chicken broth may not be needed. The dressing should be wet but not overly wet or soupy.
- Spread mixture evenly in a greased pan.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until lightly browned. Serve with gravy.